What is a yeast infection?
Yeast is normally present on our body (in the mouth, intestines, and on the skin). However, few factors like stress, or antibiotic use, can throw off the microbial balance in the body, causing the yeast to overgrow and cause an infection.
What does vaginal thrush look like?
Vaginal thrush makes the skin around your vagina sore and itchy. Vaginal discharge is also a common symptom of vaginal thrush. The discharge is thick, odourless and white, resembling cottage cheese.
How long does a yeast infection/vaginal thrush last?
This depends on two factors: how severe it is and how it is treated. If the yeast infection is mild, it may clear up in maybe three days. Sometimes, the infection does not require treatment. However, moderate to severe yeast infections may last up to 1 to 2 weeks, after one dose of medicine or using the cream daily.
Is thrush a yeast infection?
Yes, thrush is a yeast infection. It is caused by the Candida Albicans, which live harmlessly inside the vagina, in the mouth and on the skin. When the natural balance is disrupted, an infection is triggered.
Do I need to see a doctor if I get vaginal thrush?
You need to see a doctor if you:
- experience thrush symptoms for the first time
- are under 16 years or over 60 years
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
- are not responding to the thrush treatment
- experience recurrent thrush, more than twice in 6 months
- have thrush and a weakened immune system (because of HIV, diabetes, or chemotherapy)
Does Canesten cream get rid of thrush?
Yes. Canesten is an effective treatment option for thrush:
- The creams and pessaries are used at the site of infection
- It treats thrush at the source
- It provides rapid relief from external itching
- Heals internally and cools irritations externally
Can Canesten make itching/thrush worse?
Rarely. Canestenmay causes side effects which may be very similar to the symptoms of the infection. If you see your symptoms getting worse, stop the treatment and visit your doctor as soon as possible.
What is the best Canesten treatment for thrush?
Whether it is for the first time or recurrent infection, your GP will be the best person to recommend the best Canesten thrush treatment for you. Canesten is available in topical and oral forms. The doctor may choose the right treatment, depending on the severity of your condition.
How to stop thrush itching?
There are various over-the-counter antifungal creams, ointments or suppositories (Miconazole or Clotrimazole) that can help you get rid of thrush itching. It can take up to a week for the symptoms to subside. Your doctor may also prescribe a single-dose pill (fluconazole) to clear the symptoms and treat the infection.
What if the treatment doesn't work?
If your symptoms don't get better within a week or two (or if the symptoms keep coming back), contact your doctor.
The doctor may take a swab to check the reason. Your doctor may even prescribe a longer course of treatment or prescribe a combination of medicines which are not available over-the-counter.
Reasons why thrush treatment may fail, are:
- The symptoms may not be of thrush but of some other condition that mimics thrush. A vaginal swab helps the doctor confirm the cause of the symptoms.
- You may not have taken the treatment correctly.
- Although most bouts of thrush are caused by Candida Albicans, there could be other strains of candida that may not respond to the anti-thrush medicines.
- You may have had a quick recurrence of a new thrush infection (this may happen if you have a weakened immune system or are on antibiotics).
Is thrush worse at night?
The vulvar itching can be irritating and annoying, especially at night. Although this itchiness is persistent even in the day, at night, it might seem pronounced because there are fewer distractions, making us hyperaware of the itching.
Will my period flush out a yeast infection?
No. It may seem like the symptoms have disappeared during your period because the blood flow changes the vaginal pH level, and candida cannot grow in a high pH environment. However, the symptoms come back once your period is over.
Can drinking lots of water get rid of a yeast infection?
Candida albicans which causes thrush is an aggressive fungus. The infection won't go away by drinking more water than you normally do.
What can mimic a yeast infection?
There are a few conditions that mimic a yeast infection. Some of them include:
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) like herpes, genital warts and trichomoniasis
- A skin reaction or allergy to some sanitary products, feminine hygiene products, laundry soap or bath soap
- Lack of estrogen can cause discomfort, itching or discharge
- Haemorrhoids can cause itching or irritation in the vaginal area
Can sex cause thrush?
Yeast infections are not considered a sexually transmitted diseases. So, sex cannot be the cause of thrush.
How long does Canesten cream take to work?
The symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection should show signs of subsiding within a few hours of taking Canesten, but it may take up to 1 week for the symptoms to go away completely.
Where to buy thrush treatment?
You can usually buy thrush medicines in the pharmacies (over the counter or on a doctor's prescription). MedsNow also sells various thrush medications online. Just place the order and get it delivered to your doorstep.
Does thrush affect fertility?
No. It does not affect fertility in men nor in women.
What thrush treatment can be used when pregnant?
If you're pregnant, see your doctor before using treatments for thrush. Usually, during pregnancy, thrush is treated with a cream or a tablet containing clotrimazoleinserted into the vagina. Fluconazole (antifungal) tablets can also be used to treat thrush.
Can my diet affect thrush?
No. There is no relationship between diet and thrush.
Is thrush contagious?
No. This infection is triggered by the imbalance of natural bacteria and hence cannot be caught by casual contact with items like toilet seat and towels.
Can my partner catch it during sex?
It is highly unlikely to be passed on to your partner during sex, as the fungus is present on the skin or in the bowel.
Can thrush cause bleeding? Is vaginal bleeding is a common symptom of yeast infections?
No. Bleeding is likely when you scratch the sore and irritated skin so much so that it bleeds.